On a fairly regular basis Joel and I wash our clothes. And we wash our clothes by hand. This exercise has taken me through various mental realizations about life, simplicity, resources, time and a whole host of other great life lessons. But sometimes it just makes me hot, sweaty, and tired.
In our world of internet opinions and resources I have done a lot of research about how to make washing clothes manually easier. And in my research I have found there isn’t a lot of consensus. So these are things I choose to believe about washing clothes that, even if you give me a convincing argument to the contrary, I will hold on to.
1. Soaking clothes for a really long time will remove stains or mud.
2. Most of the dirt in clothes comes out in the first minute of agitation.
3. The sun is a powerful cleaner, almost as good as soap and water.
4. Rinsing more than 2 times (oh, who am I kidding – 1 time) is for “clean freaks”, which, as I am sure you are starting to see, I am not one.
5. Plungers are not only for toilets.
If you have any other advice about washing clothes that will not shake my above fundamental beliefs please feel free to offer it.